Fara beint í efnið

Registration of EEA/EFTA Foreign Nationals & Their Non-EEA/EFTA Family Members (Residence Cards) (1)

Long-Term EEA/EFTA Foreign Nationals in Iceland

Foreign nationals from EEA/EFTA states who stay in Iceland longer than three months must register with Registers Iceland. Their registration includes legal domicile in Iceland as well as an Icelandic ID number. If EEA/EFTA foreign nationals need a national ID number for some reason during a stay shorter than three months, see information on system ID numbers.

You can begin the registration process online, using either your digital credentials (if you have your own — do not use someone else's) or an email address. Once the initial process is complete, you'll receive a reference number. If necessary, you can stop and continue later by logging in and using the reference number, picking up where you left off.

This registration form is valid for citizens of: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and Sweden.

General processing time can take up to five working days after all necessary documentation has been received.

Registration of an EEA/EFTA foreign national for a period exceeding three months

Registration of Immediate Family Members from Non-EEA/EFTA States - Residence Cards

Residence cards are issued in circumstances when EEA/EFTA foreign nationals have registered their residence in Iceland with Registers Iceland (see above) and they want to sponsor their immediate family members from outside the EEA/EFTA for residence in Iceland. Those immediate family members can be registered by the submitting the form below to the Directorate of Immigration and they will receive a residence card provided they satisfy the requirements. The residence card is valid for as long as the sponsoring EEA/EFTA family member is resident in Iceland up to five years.

For the purposes of the residence card, immediate family members of the EEA/EFTA foreign national include the following:

  • spouse or cohabiting partner

  • descendants, i.e., children or grandchildren, of the EEA/EFTA foreign national or their spouse, who are under the age of 21 or are dependents

  • Dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or cohabiting partner (i.e., parents and grandparents)

Registration for a Residence Card